8/05/2009

Enter the Dragon remake Makin' it Rain!


One of these days I'll get around to establishing my Top Shelf movies. No, these are not just my favorite few films, but the movies that are in my mind totally untouchable. You don't remake them. You don't enhance them. You don't do anything but pop them in the DVD player and watch them. Period. But if I made that list I can promise you Enter the Dragon would be on it. So when I heard they were planning a remake of Bruce Lee's breakout film, I was a bit disheartened. I was even less happy to find out that some TV guy, Kurt Sutter, was helming it. Not only was this his feature debut, but he wants to make it a "contemporary noir" style action flick, which sounds good on paper but could prove troublesome in execution. Oh, and now called Awaken the Dragon. Blah.

Latino Review has even more news on the subject, as they are reporting that Warner Brothers really wants a fresh face in the role Bruce Lee made famous. So who are they looking to? Rain. No, not Rainn Wilson. Or Taylor Rain, not that I'm familiar with her work. Just Rain. Korean pop star and I'm sure an all around swell guy. Apparently he really turned some heads in the Wachowski Bros. upcoming martial arts epic, Ninja Assassin. Homeboy's definitely got the look down pat. Rain also appeared in the Wachowski's awesome(in my opinion anyway) Speed Racer.

I don't know much about Rain, and I haven't seen Ninja Assassin yet but dude's got the look. This doesn't make me any happier about the remake, but it's not necessarily bad news either.