6/28/2011

Scarlett Johansson joins latest from Once director John Carney; Judd Apatow to produce


I've never actually heard a lick of Scarlett Johansson's albums, but I've heard she's not actually too bad of a singer.  She was great in the little we heard in Lost in Translation, although I might've been bedazzled by her beauty and pink wig. But she's going to get a chance to really show off her stuff now, as she's set to star in Can a Song Save Your Life, a musical from Once writer/director John Carney.

Once is a film so special to my heart that I almost didn't want Carney to make anything else for fear they'd tarnish my opinion of him. Turns out I won't have to worry since the couple of films he's made since aren't likely to turn up over stateside, anyway. This one definitely will, though, since it's got the backing of Judd Apatow as a producer and the obviously big name Johansson.

So what will the film be about? It can't just be Johansson crooning and looking hot for 90 minutes(can it??). She'll play a young singer/songwriter who forms a passionate bond with a washed up A&R man.  Jim Carrey and Marc Ruffalo are rumored for the dude role.

Expecting Carney to be able to recreate the magical chemistry unleashed between Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova(they form The Swell Season) wouldn't be fair, but I'd be lying if I didn't have high hopes. [The Sunday Business Post Online]