10/28/2013

30 Days of Halloween – Day 28: “The Crow”


I will not apologize for the first time I walked into a Hot Topic, because I was there to buy a T-shirt of the movie The Crow. For a pretty solid chunk of time, from probably eighth grade to my first or second year of college, if you asked for my favorite movie, that would be it. I don’t really have a “favorite” movie anymore—because I am a terribly self-important entertainment writer now, I have movies I “respect,” or movies I “love,” or even a top 10 list of movies I “like a bunch”—but The Crow, despite no longer being No. 1, still falls into all those categories. I respect the darkness of it. I love the sentimentality of it. And yes, indeed, I do like it a bunch.

I think I knew things wouldn’t work out with one of my first crushes in high school because I pulled the, “You should watch this movie, it’s great” move, and his reaction was basically a shrug and a, “It was fine.” You do not just say “It was fine” about The Crow, a movie steeped in sadness about Brandon Lee’s death and, of course, conspiracy theories about Lee’s tragic and accidental death during filming; a movie that has achieved significant cult status; a movie that effectively showed off Alex Proyas’s somber, intense directing style and the heartbreaking nature of the 1989 comic book by James O’Barr that it was based on. You know how Boromir says in Fellowship of the Ring, “One does not simply walk into Mordor”? Well, one does not simply say “It was fine” about The Crow. You’re dumb and you’re wrong and, to quote stand-up comedian Hannibal Buress, “I don’t want you in my life at all.”

Superficially, The Crow has all the necessary Halloween elements. It takes place on Devil’s Night in Detroit, which for years in that city was a free-for-all crime spree set the night before Halloween. Its protagonist comes back from the dead, with a crow as his familiar. Said protagonist dresses up in black clothes, paints his face, and disappears into the night. He’s a ghost, back for vengeance, tortured by his sadness. All of that stuff is pretty standard Halloween fare. But jeez, does this movie feel. It makes one of the strongest cases for true, undying love that I’ve ever seen. It makes vigilante justice look pretty damn appealing. And its ability to make very hokey lines like, “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever,” seem like great art, like the truest thing ever said, is fucking impressive.

The plot of The Crow is basically this: Sensitive, insanely hot guitarist Eric Draven (Lee, who happened to be Bruce Lee’s son) and his fiancée Shelly are attacked by a group of hoodlums on Devil’s Night; she was a community advocate, working to turn around the area’s crime problem, and that didn't fly with gang boss Top Dollar (seriously, the names in this movie are excellent) or his incestuous half-sister. Eric and Shelly both die, hours before they were to be married on Halloween, a case that sticks with Sgt. Albrecht, a put-upon cop, and devastates neighborhood kid Sarah, who the couple was taking care of because her mother is a useless drug addict. Everything seems wrong in the world; it never seems to stop raining.

A year passes. A crow flies over the couple’s graves. Somehow, someway, Eric crawls out of his, invincible, ready for vengeance. And over the course of a night he tracks down those thugs, makes them feel his pain, tries to set things right. In a society where no one cares—where Sarah’s mother is too busy prostituting herself and injecting herself with drugs to take care of her daughter; where the cops don’t do anything on Devil’s Night because looting and burning is going to happen anyway; where Top Dollar’s thugs murder and rape because “it’s fun and it’s easy”—Eric Draven is our one great hope.

That’s very Batman-like, sure, but as much as I love Bruce Wayne, I am convinced The Crow will cut you deeper. On a day like Halloween, when you’re supposed to dress up like the one thing you wish you were, Eric Draven just wants to be alive. He just wants to be in love. And I’ll be damned if watching The Crow won’t make you want those things, too.

(Oh, and just so it’s on the record: Fuck the remake of The Crow. STOP REMAKING THINGS THAT ARE PERFECT ALREADY, HOLLYWOOD, YOU ARE THE WORST.)