11/09/2016

Tom Holland Talks 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Influences, Zendaya Teases Her Role


When Spider-Man: Homecoming hits next year it will have been the third Spidey franchise in, frankly, too short a timeframe. But it is what it is, and Marvel's approach is slightly different, beginning with the signing of Tom Holland to play a younger Peter Parker than we've seen previously. He'll be following in the footsteps of Tobey Maguire and most recently Andrew Garfield, and Holland admits he's taken a few cues from his predecessors, telling THR...

“I actually haven’t been in contact with them. But it’s so lucky because I’ve got five movies that I can draw from. I watched every single one years before I even got cast in this movie. And then we watched them all again and just picked little things that I thought was great and that I’d like to keep."

I have it on good authority he decided to pull totally from Maguire's performance in Spider-Man 3. Just kidding.  Anyway, Holland also reveals that he is signed to multiple movies, which we all expected. It sounds like he's talking about six movies here, with some flexibility on when he's needed...

“They give you options, and those could be exercised whenever. Like a cameo in Avengers. I’m unclear as to which movies, though. I do know I have three Spider-Man movies and three solo movies contracted. But if you have another movie, Marvel is so good at working around it. They’re very respectful of your life, really. They understand that you have to work on other movies, and they try and fix it up so you can work around each other.”

I'm not sure what the difference is between Spider-Man movies and solo movies, but it could mean he's talking about appearances in group flicks like Avengers: Infinity War, plus cameo appearances. Spider-Man will likely take a bigger role in the MCU as some of the "older" heroes like Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor take a step back.

Meanwhile, the trade also caught up with co-star Zendaya who is playing the role of "Michelle". Most have come to assume the character is actually Mary Jane Watson, but the actress says that's not the case, or at the very least she's not a love interest...

“No [laughs]. My character is not romantic. My character is like very dry, awkward, intellectual and because she’s so smart, she just feels like she doesn’t need to talk to people, like “My brain is so far ahead of you that you’re just not really on my level.” So she comes off very weird. But to me, she is very cool because she’s deep. She’s always thinking about something, always reading. I like that. And I also like that I don’t really have to do anything for hair and makeup. I just get to walk in and walk out.”

Doesn't mean she isn't Mary Jane, just that she isn't a love interest now. We'll see when Spider-Man: Homecoming opens July 7th 2017.