12/08/2014

Josh Brolin Talks Thanos' Battle in 'Avengers: Infinity War'


He's been teased since The Avengers and seen putting his plan into effect in Guardians of the Galaxy, but Thanos won't become a palpable threat until the two-part Avengers: Infinity War. Before those films arrive in 2018 and 2019 we'll have plenty of chance to see the guy who plays Thanos, Josh Brolin, in other projects. He's currently making the press rounds talking about his role as "Bigfoot" Bjornsen in Inherent Vice, and of course Brolin was asked about playing Thanos, too...

Brolin: “It’s different man, it’s just different.  I don’t have a thing like, “I only do small art films” or “I only do this.”  I just read a story and go, “wow.  That’s cool.”  It’s not, “I want to get into this genre or that genre.”  So Thanos came along.. and I had a good friend Louis D’Esposito who used to be a first AD and is now the co-president of Marvel, and he and I used to train together.  We did Hollow Man together.  He called me up and started talking about this thing.  It was nice because I could intimately talk to him about it.  What I liked. What I didn’t like about the whole idea of it.  But I love the idea of Thanos.”

And who will Thanos be facing? Well, when the film is being split into two parts, plus a whole new crop of Avengers is emerging, it's safe to say Thanos will be very busy...

Brolin: “Ultimately it’s Thanos against everyone.  So why wouldn’t you do that?  I was more nervous doing that than I think I’ve been in long time. I was in front of thirty-two little cameras and I had a face sprayed with iridescent paint.  It’s really exciting, the possibilities of what it could become.”

Brolin will be seen next in Inherent Vice, which opens in select cities on December 12th. [Collider]