11/06/2009

The List!

At last night's screening of The Box, I realized a couple of things: Critics are an arrogant, self congratulatory bunch who seem to enjoy their lack of intellectual curiosity. Or maybe that was just the bunch I was sitting near. Listening to them take pride in not being able to understand Lars Von Trier's Antichrist was mind numbing. Hey, I didn't understand all of it either, but the entire movie simply can't be boiled down to the two most graphic scenes.

And second: Snickers and popcorn don't go well together at all. Especially right before bed.



He's a jedi warrior. A psychic knight. George Clooney's latest, The Men Who Stare at Goats, is based on the US Military's interest in developing new combat techniques based on the paranormal and the occult. No, seriously. I'm getting a Coen Brothers vibe off of this one, mostly because of the Coen-centric casting(Clooney and Bridges especially) but also the zany, irreverent tone. If the film is half as funny as the trailer(which features one of the best Kevin Spacey one-liners ever), then it's gonna be a hit.



Don't let the creepy trailer or the stunning Milla Jojovich fool you. The only thing real about this movie is Nome, Alaska. But it benefits from the surge of interest in "found footage" concepts due to the success of Paranormal Activity, so I'm expecting it to perform well. The Fourth Kind is based on the idea of alien abduction. We've all heard of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The 1st Kind is seeing a UFO overhead. The 2nd Kind is feeling or observing the effects of a UFO(crop circles??). The 3rd Kind is actual sighting of an alien being. So does this mean if The Fourth Kind is successful we'll be treated to 5, 6, 7, all the way up to 9? Yes, there are 9 different "Kinds" out there.



I have no real love for A Christmas Carol. Or Christmas movies in general, unless they involve Red Rider BB Guns and Scott Farkus. Robert Zemeckis's yuletide gift has my attention because I am simply in love with the performance capture technology it employs. It's evolved by leaps and bounds since The Polar Express(my favorite is still Monster House, however) and this looks like the best yet. Considering a lot of the story has to do with some rather spooky ghosts popping up out of the woodwork, I'm not sure how for the kiddies this will be. Might be a good idea to wait and hear from a few folks before dragging the little monsters along to see it.

If there's time...

I could say that I still have every intention of seeing New York, I Love You this week but by now you probably wouldn't believe me and I'm finding it harder to convince myself, too.

No...no...a thousand times no...



Not only because I've already seen it is The Box on the do not resuscitate list this week, but because my brain simply couldn't handle the strain a second time.



Two words that will pretty much ensure I will never ever pay money to see your movie? Adam. Goldberg. Not only is he the deathknell for any TV series he happens to show up on(just look it up and see for yourself. I think he killed Friends, too), but even he can prevent me from spending two quality hours with the lovely and talented Marley Shelton(Sugar and Spice, Sin City). It's a satirical look at the New York art scene, apparently, so if you're interested in checking it out you can find it at AMC Shirlington and at Landmark E Street Cinema.

Right now is the perfect time to hit up the Arlington Cinema 'n Drafthouse. Hell, it's always a good time for enjoying a few adult beverages while checking out a flick, but right now they might have their best lineup of movies evah! Check this out: Pixar's Up, The Hangover, and District 9 are all playing there right now. Not to mention one of my Top 5 films of the year, The Hurt Locker is currently showing. I'm tempted to go back and see it one more time. You all should consider it as well. Click here for their current schedule, and if you go be sure to let me know so I can come with.