6/28/2011

Punch Drunk DVDs

 A slight retooling of my weekly spotlight on new DVD and Blu-Ray releases. I'll now be providing my 3 favorite picks, and then listing others that I think are worth noting. And please remember you can pick up these movies yourself just by clicking on the link. Thanks!
 

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy(Blu-Ray)
Peter Jackson's epic, ambitious adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic novels is without doubt in my mind the best trilogy of movies ever. Yes, even better than Star Wars, mostly to the grand scope and their consistency. Each film feels like more majestic than anything else that came out in those years, and seen as a whole it's a technological wonder few could ever hope to achieve.


2. Serenity (Blu-Ray/DVD)
Unlike most Joss Whedon fans, I never saw a single episode of his quickly cancelled series, Firefly. At least not until I saw Serenity, and his seamless blending of sci-fi with the old west hooked me to the point that I ran out and bought the entire set. Watched them all in less than two days.
 1. Sucker Punch
Misunderstood? Misrepresented? Or is Zack Snyder's often confusing mix of genres a legitimate disaster as some would say? I think those who are quick to shun the film as little more than fanboy fantasy with big robots, big guns, and big tits aren't looking closely enough. And yet if that's how you want to enjoy as just escapist fare, then it works on that level as well. This is pure untapped Zack Snyder, with crazy insane visuals and some scenes that look like they were pulled out of his weirdest fever dreams.

Other notables releases
Season of the Witch
Beastly
Warrior's Way
Apollo 13(Blu-Ray/DVD)
Van Helsing(Blu-Ray/DVD)
Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story
The Last Starfighter(Blu-Ray/DVD)